21 pages of great reading!
The Broad Way:
Every month, Broad Radio is bringing you choice vibes from our show: from books to beauty, comfort to comedy. Welcome to our very first downloadable special – our books guide!
It features dozens of amazing reads, from glossy page-turners to the hottest young adult lit. Take a fresh look at your ‘to be read’ pile and support your local bookstores!
Subscribe & download for your chance to win
For the first three weeks in November, our gorgeous friends at Moores Hill Estate in Tasmania are offering a wine pack every week, comprising 2021 Rose and 2020 Riesling. To enter, simply subscribe and download our books guide on this page, and we’ll randomly select a winner every week for three weeks!
VALUED AT $65.00 for the set
The Competition commences at 11:00 AEST/AEDT on 15 November 2021 and closes at 11:00 AEST/AEDT on 29 November 2021. Winner(s) will be drawn between 11:00 and 12:00 AEST/AEDT on 29 November 2021. Prize value is RRP$65.00.
2020 reisling & 2021 Rose
Shape our show
Our show really is for you, BY YOU! For over nine months, we’ve done a weekly More to Say Survey, so listeners could have their say on issues that matter, and life moments that make us who we are. We’ve LOVED doing this More to Say poll, and we’re re-tooling for a new More to Say Chapter for Broad Radio. Stay tuned! In the meantime, if you know a Brilliant Broad – an unsung hero, or someone with an interesting story to tell – nominate them below! We may feature them on the show.
THIS WEEK'S QUESTION
When you reach for something enjoyable to ground you, do you:
Every week, our listeners get to shape what we talk about on our shows, and every week you have the chance to share your opinion on a different topic. Because you matter. And we hear you.
Are you ready to share?
Play Like A Girl
You could win the entire series of Jo Stanley’s Play Like A Girl books. These five books tell the story of The Flyers, an under 11 girls footy team, and are suitable for an 8-10 year old in your life.
VALUED AT $99.95 for the set
The Competition commences at 17:00 AEST/AEDT on 13 September 2021 and closes at 17:00 AEST/AEDT on 20 September 2021. Winner(s) will be drawn between 17:00 and 18:00 AEST/AEDT on 20 September 2021. Prize value is RRP$99.95.
Lift Someone Up! Talk Yourself Up!
We know there are extraordinary women that walk among us every day. Sometimes, they have an incredible story to share; about chance, resilience, love, or a life-changing decision. Sometimes, they have a cautionary tale, in the hopes of helping others. And sometimes, they’re an unsung hero who doesn’t get the recognition they deserve.
Broad Radio will be sharing some of these stories and giving a voice to these extraordinary women and their extraordinary stories.
Does this sound like you, or someone you know?
Nominate yourself or a friend, with a short summary of the crazy beautiful reason. If we’d like to know more, we’ll be in touch.
MORE TO SAY
See our final poll results
Here’s what people thought in other More to Say Surveys. Feel free to drop this chat at brunch…
Our Recent Discussion
When you reach for something enjoyable to ground you, do you:
Talk to friends and loved ones
Read books or poetry
Use your hands, like crochet or garden
Get your hands into cooking
Create (write, sing, draw, anything)
QUESTION: 14 September 2021
When you reach for something enjoyable to ground you, do you:
- 22% said: Talk to friends and loved ones
- 18% said: Read books or poetry
- 17% said: Use your hands, like crochet or garden
- 13% said: Get your hands into cooking
- 4% said: Create (write, sing, draw, anything)
QUESTION: 7 september 2021
As we focus on good food and more time at home, how are your gardening skills going?
- 23% said: Woeful, I’m a black thumb
- 31% said: I’m a dreamer, not a doer
- 38% said: Not too shabby, it’s green and going well
- 8% said: I’m so good, my patch is a thriving firest
QUESTION: 31 AUGUST 2021
We’re thrilled to be partnering with Jean Hailes for Women’s Health this Women’s Health Week. Which element of your health worries you most?
- 39% Fitness and physical health
- 33% Mental health
- 12% Sleep
- 11% Tricky periods
- 5% Sex at all ages
QUESTION: 24 AUGUST 2021
Pandemic burdens are colliding, from work to home schooling to isolation, and it's affecting women the most. Where are you at?
- 67% said: I’m managing to make it work
- 15% said: I’ve stopped working to manage the kids the household
- 10% said: I’m functional but could use more help
- 8% said: I’ve had to make major decisions and scale back
QUESTION: 17 AUGUST 2021
More than ever we need people in parliament who represent US! So, serious question: have you ever thought of running for parliament?
- 62% Yikes no thanks
- 23% Would love to, just need the how-to
- 15% It’s crossed my mind but it feels too big
- 0% I’m doing it – just watch me go
QUESTION: 10 AUGUST 2021
Seems like it’s the season for reality tv. Are you:
- 40% said: Unashamedly a fan
- 34% said: Hate them all, vacuous waste of time
- 26% said: It’s a guilty pleasure, but I wouldn’t admit it
QUESTION: 2 AUGUST 2021
We all think everyone should be treated equally, but do you call yourself a feminist?
- 47% said: I don’t like labels or beating a drum, but I do like having the vote so yes I’m a feminist.
- 34% said: No, that word feels too aggressive for me.
- 19% said: Hellz yeah, it’s my favourite F word.
QUESTION: 27 JULY 2021
The Olympics, delayed once already, have no live audience and we're largely in lockdown. Are you:
- 32% said: Always been a massive fan
- 29% said: Feeling like the gloss is gone
- 23% said: Enjoying the general distraction
- 11% said: Never interested, and certainly not now
- 5% said: More invested than usual
QUESTION: 20 JULY 2021
In lockdown, what’s been your pyjama-wearing habit?
- 57% said: I get dressed like normal, it’s good for the soul
- 26% said: Pyjamas take me to lunchtime
- 12% said: Business on top, pj’s below
- 5% said: Im never dressed
QUESTION: 13 JULY 2021
This poll proved VERY contentious at Broad Radio HQ...
- 38% said: Bar of soap
- 62% said: Body wash
QUESTION: 6 JULY 2021
We think women who make stuff are awesome. Are you crafty?
- 47% said: Don’t mind how it turns out, I love the creativity
- 31% said: Can’t thread a needle and don’t care to
- 16% said: Legendary. I wear my masterpieces and feel fabulous
- 6% said: I’m a woodwork and iron kinda gal
QUESTION: 29 JUNE 2021
When it comes to online shopping, where do you sit?
- 61% said: Sometimes go there, but much prefer bricks and mortar.
- 16% said: Epic fail! Nothing ever looks the same as the picture.
- 13% said: If I buy, it’s always online. It’d rather go naked than face the shops.
- 10% said: I’m addicted. I’ve got packages arriving 24/7.
QUESTION: 22 JUNE 2021
Menopause: how much do you know?
- 27% said: I’ve found the right way to manage symptoms and feel pretty in control.
- 25% said: Glass of wine and a laugh with the girls is the best treatment.
- 16% said: I’ve tried everything and still struggling to deal.
- 14% said: I’m totally in the dark – where do I even start?
- 13% said: It’s too far away for me to think about.
- 5% said: I’ve asked for help and got none.
QUESTION: 15 JUNE 2021
Mare of Easttown is reminding us how awesome lady detectives are. Who is your fave?
- 27% said: Mariska Hargitay as Olivia Bensen in SVU
- 25% said: Gillian Anderson as Agent Scully
- 22% said: Kate Winslet as Mare
- 14% said: Toni Collette in Unbelievable
- 4% said: Kristen Bell as Veronica Mars
- 4% said: Frances McDormand as Marge Gunderson in Fargo
- 3% said: Stephanie Beatriz as Det. Diaz in Brooklyn 99
- 1% said: Merritt Weaver in Unbelievable
QUESTION: 8 JUNE 2021
What’s your comfort food vibe?
- 33% said: Salty treats
- 30% said: Sweet tooth vibes
- 22% said: Sunday roast
- 10% said: Childhood throwbacks
- 5% said: Clean eating
QUESTION: 1 JUNE 2021
COVID-19 Vaccinations are a very hot topic. Where are you at with yours?
- 47% said: I’m still waiting for mine
- 33% said: I’ve had one jab
- 16% said: I’m choosing not to get the jab
- 4% said: I’ve had both doses
QUESTION: 24 MAY 2021
What was the best 90's show of all time? ALL TIME?!?
- 26% said: The X-Files
- 21% said: Seinfeld
- 21% said: Buffy the
- Vampire Slayer
- 14% said: 90210
- 14% said: Friends
- 4% said: Melrose Place
QUESTION: 17 MAY 2021
The Federal Budget promised more focus on what women need. What’s most important to you?
- 9% Women’s Health
- 9% Secure housing
- 3% More accessible childcare
- 59% Ending violence against women
- 2% Superannuation reform
- 15% Aged care reform
- 3% Employment into middle-senior years
QUESTION: 10 MAY 2021
The weather is getting colder, and in the interests of keeping warm, how far do you drop your sartorial standards?
- 23% said: I don’t. I wear discreet, pretty thermals and stylish coats.
- 61% said: Slightly slippy. Uggs and Oodies inside the home only.
- 16% said: No shame. I will wear my onesies and slippers to the shops.
QUESTION: 26 APRIL 2021
Chloe Zhao, the history-making Oscar-winner, walked the 2021 red carpet in trainers. Are high heels dead?
- 81% said: Yes! Modern gals are all about funky trainers or Docs.
- 19% said: No! I worship the heel and always will.
QUESTION: 19 april 2021
Alanis Morisette is coming to Australia in November. Have you ever belted out You Oughta Know with an ex in mind?
- 82% Yes, because who hasn’t?
- 18% No, only because I’ve never been dumped
QUESTION: 12 APRIL 2021
The weather is changing which is joy for some. But nothing divides opinion like summer vs winter. What’s your pick?
- 51% said:Give me cooler winter days (sweaty ol’ summer is the WORST)
- 49% said: Summer all the way, baby
QUESTION: 5 april 2021
- 20%: This gap is proof women are expected to stay at home whenever possible
- 50%: This stat is great for women because of the flexibility
- 30%: This gap will harm women via lack of visibility
QUESTION: 29 Mar 2021
True female music icons - you can choose only one!
- 43% said: Dolly Parton
- 42% said: Tina Turner
- 15% said: Cher
QUESTION: 22 Mar 2021
It’s a delicious time of year, with hot cross buns and chocolate eggs at eye height every where we turn. Do you:
- 42%:Enjoy responsibly – a treat here and there won’t hurt.
- 21%: Over indulge, and then regret. And then over indulge again.
- 36%: Throw caution to the wind and eat it all – why deny joy!
- No-one voted to avoid hot cross bun season!
QUESTION: 15 Mar 2021
Did you march4justice on the 15th March?
- 74% said:Couldn’t get there, but was there in spirit
- 10% said: Hells yes.
- 16% said: Don’t see the point, nothing will change.
QUESTION: 8 Mar 2021
Sometimes life is hard and we need a little pick-me-up. What's your go-to?
- 26%: Music
- 24%: Friends
- 25%: Nature
- 5%: Meditation
- 11%: Exercise
- 9%: Cake
QUESTION: 1 Mar 2021
During highly stressful lockdowns over the past year, many people chose to reach for the bottle, for a wide range of reasons. Did you:
- 23% said:Really lean in and start making midnight G&T’s when you couldn’t sleep
- 31% said: Make a few more trips to Dan’s than usual.
- 31% said: Go in the other direction and embrace the alcohol-free lifestyle.
- 15% said: Keep it steady.
QUESTION: 22 FEB 2021
We're talking about harassment. Have you ever felt uncomfortable in the workplace?
- 50% said: Yes, sadly I have.
- 50% said: No, I’m grateful never to have had that experience.
- Message from Broad Radio: We know and understand that online polls have their limits, and wish to acknowledge that 85% of women have experienced sexual harassment at work, with 4 out of 5 perpetrators being men.
QUESTION: 15 FEB 2021
COVID-19 lockdowns have seen a big increase in women (of all ages) embracing the grey and changing their approach to dyeing their hair. What about you?
- 36% said: I’ve embraced the grey and I’m loving it.
- 22% said: Nope. I was first in line for a cut n colour.
- 31% said: I honestly don’t care, as long as I’m well groomed.
- 11% said: I chose to go grey, but I’m not sure about it.
QUESTION: 8 FEB 2021
Older women are the fastest-growing group of homeless people. Do you feel secure in your housing?
- 28% said: Mostly
- 40% said: No, I worry about this a lot.
- 32% said: Yes.
QUESTION: 2 FEB 2021
Do you have a Will of your own?
- 44% said: Sure do! It’s up to date too.
- 11% said: I don’t know where to start, it’s daunting.
- 45% said: No, but I’ve been meaning to.
QUESTION: 25 JAN 2021
Something for the mums: how do you feel about school being back?
- 6% said: Sad. I can’t get enough time with my kids.
- 73% said: It’s time. All good things must come to an end.
- 21% said: So ready. So exhausted.
QUESTION: 18 JAN 2021
What's your favourite sport to watch women play?
- 33% said: AFLW
- 8% said: Soccer (W League)
- 17% said: Super Netball
- 34% said: Tennis
- 8% said: None of the above. Sport ain’t my jam
QUESTION: 11 JAN 2021
The Federal Government has drafted laws to protect Australians from cyber abuse. Tell us about your experience with online harassment.
- 4% said: Constant harassment that really takes its toll
29% said: Copped it once or twice, but not too bad
- 13% said: I get it about every week. Worst part of the internet
- 54% said: Thankfully I’ve never experienced it
QUESTION: 4 JAN 2021
We know work / life balance is important, but is it possible? How much 'me time' do you give yourself?
- 62% said: I make time every week. Benefits me, and those around me
5% said: I wish, but other people always take priority
- 33% said: Leave it up to chance, which means not often
- 0% said: Never, but that’s cool. I love my work
QUESTION: 27 DEC 2020
A high percentage of Australian women own pleasure devices, but they're not for everyone. What's your preference?
- 22% said: I like the idea but don’t know where to start
- 17% said: It’s not my thing
- 48% said: I’ve had one or two in my day
- 13% said: My sex toy drawer is spectacularly packed with pleasure
QUESTION: 21 DEC 2020
COVID-19 has had an unexpected impact in 2020. What was your experience?
61% said: It’s been hard
8% said: It’s transformed my life positively
31% said: I was able to slow down and reflect
Our Previous Winners
We love to run competitions for our poll participants. Here are our past winners.